image from lacomunidad.elpasis.com
It is usually with grateful heart, an attitude of joyous celebration and with exuberant pride in my country that I awaken on the morning of the 4th of July. However, quite sadly, this day has been one of great weeping.
I love the country of my birth. I love ALL that it has stood for. I love the principles that it was founded upon – “One Nation UNDER God” – but, alas, I find myself on my face today before that very God – Jehovah Tsidkenu (God, Our Saving Justice – Righteous and Just) – crying out for mercy over this land that has always held my heart.
Friendships, prayer partnerships, have developed over the years from all over the globe, thanks to the internet, and for that I am very grateful to God. In many discussions with these that the Lord has placed around my sphere of contact my underlying thought has always been, “I’m SO blessed to be an American!” We still have freedom! We can still worship our Lord God freely! We can still pray publicly! We can still have our Bibles! We can still speak of His love with others! We are allowed to minister to those in jails, prisons, hospitals, etc! . . . but, now? Will these freedoms still last? Will they still hold true?
Our beloved forefathers left everything to seek out this land we call America, our home. A place where they could freely serve and worship the Lord. A land where Biblical principles were woven into the very fabric of our governmental society – papers were drawn up, signed, declared publically over our nation – all based upon God’s Word. Many, many lives have been lost; many, many bodies maimed beyond repair; all to continue the fight to keep our nation the mighty nation that God rose it up to be.
Why was our nation so mighty? So looked up to? So successful? Because it was a country / nation that set God’s Word as the basis for its principles, its governing law. The things we set out to do were God honoring, God fearing.
I love our flag – when I look at it I think of the following (this is my personal view):
- The red stripes – remind me of the blood that Jesus shed for us to be free from the bondages of the enemy (satan) AND the blood that countless men and women have shed for our nation to remain free
- The white stripes – remind me of holiness, how we need to walk holy before God, bringing honor to Him in all things. It reminds me of my complete surrender to Him in every area of my life, for in Him is TOTAL freedom
- The blue square – blue, “a color that prophetically has celestial and heavenly power” (referenced from The Prophet’s Dictionary by Paula A. Price, PH.D.) – reminds me that God is over this nation of mine – it is His power that protects us
- The white stars – stars, in the Bible refer to angels, so when I look at the stars on our flag, set in the blue, it reminds me that the angelic hosts of heaven are looking over us, there for us at all times
- Waving in the wind – reminds me that Holy Spirit is always present, blowing over us, upon us, with His guidance . . . if we but listen
≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈
In my Scripture reading and meditation this morning, Acts 13:10, Paul spoke up boldly to a ‘wise man’ (associated with the proconsul of the day) these words – “and said, you master in every form of deception and recklessness, unscrupulousness, and wickedness, you son of the devil, you enemy of everything that is upright and good, making crooked the straight paths of the Lord and plotting against His saving purposes…” (Amplified Bible) – after reading this twice, I thought to myself, through flowing tears, ‘Oh, if only someone were bold enough to speak up to our leaders in this way!’
Then, the cross reference in Hosea 14:9b, which says, “Who is wise, that he may understand these things? Pruden, that he may know them? For the ways of the Lord are right and the [uncompromisingly] just shall walk in them, but transgressors shall stumble and fall in them.” (Amplified Bible) – I found myself once more crying out for my beloved America, ‘Lord raise up men and women who love You, fear You (hold in reverent awe) and desire to honor You with their lives. Raise them up and set them in places where they can truly help America become “One Nation UNDER God” once more!’
Abba Father, I am still grateful for my beloved America. I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that You are still in control of all things, and that You are, indeed, working behind the scenes to wake us up and help us arise and take our place as Your mighty bride – fully equipped to embrace and stand firm upon Your principles, not wavering. Lord, I can only cry out for Your mercy, grace and forgiveness over this land . . . as my heart is breaking today, I can only imagine what Yours must be feeling! God help us! and . . . God, may Your grace abound, Your mercy flow, Your Truth reign supreme . . . may your blessings once more be upon America, my beloved (earthly) homeland. amen
©klh 4Given Ministries